Cross Country Race Skills
This course covers all key elements to prepare you for a cross country race.
Over and above riding as a hobby, racing requires technical, physical, mental and strategic preparation. I’ve raced bikes extensively over the last 15 years. And I’ve competed in over 200 races in 5 disciplines. I will use my experience of XC racing, road, cyclocross, DH and enduro to improve your approach.
If you’ve already done races, it’s also a good way of getting you mentally and physically in gear, as well as improving your skills.
- Understanding and improving tactical and technical skills
- Building awareness of skills which require improvement and integrating them into your training
- Gaining a tactical advantage and sustaining constant pace through efficient techniques
- Improving skills under pressure
- Race scenario situations to replicate the pressure of racing
- Some exercises will involve group riding
- Creative exercises to stretch you mentally
- Logistics of racing
- Equipment and bike preparation – including a pre-race bike check.
- Looking after yourself – nutrition, sleep, mental preparation
Practice and race day
- Warm ups for racing
- Making the most of practice time – learning the trail, identifying lines
- Positive mindset under pressure
Things to consider
You must be able to ride red graded trails.
It’s strongly recommended that you have undertaken other coaching before this course (with myself or another coach).
What to bring to your coaching session
- A mountain bike in full working order
- Helmet and gloves
- Suitable warm/waterproof clothing. The locations can be exposed and you’re not riding continuously
- A completed rider information and consent form. Follow the link at checkout
- Everything else you’d carry for a ride, including spare inner-tube and pump
- Tools to carry out a pre-race check. Including hex & torx keys, as appropriate for your bike. We will do this in the car park. If you are riding to the session, I will have some you can borrow.
Location and meeting point
Greno Woods MTB trails & Wharncliffe Woods. Meet at the Grenoside Woods car park, S35 8RS: https://goo.gl/maps/jPxu2hmGRY3Vynz77
6 hours, 9.30am to 3.30pm.
We will take a short break for lunch.
Is this a gift?
If you’re buying this as a gift, just add a gift voucher worth £0 to your basket. Download the printable PDF voucher or request a copy to be posted.
Terms and conditions for booking: https://rideabout.co/terms-conditions/